Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Personal Bucket List: Learn how to play the piano

When I was younger, my brother, sister, and I took piano lessons. I was young and petulant and didn’t want to learn the basics of playing the piano. I wanted to learn my way, which was not a way that was conducive to learning how to do anything. I quickly burned out on the lessons and never really gave it a true shake. This is a pity, now that I look back on it because it could have opened the door to many different things.


I love music, all styles and kinds that exist. I can find something to like about every genre of music that exists. There’s something about that feeling you get when you hear a song for the first time, and it grabs you by the subconscious. You don’t really know why, but you’re drawn to it, and as a result it can provide you with guidance, insight, or just an outlet to process all the things flying through our minds.

It’s truly amazing to watch a really great piano player perform. The late Anthony Burger used to tour with the Gaither Music Family, and on those tours he would occasionally be called upon to perform a solo piece, or play backup on a large company number. The video below shows Burger playing “The Hallelujah Chorus” from Handel’s “Messiah” and when you watch it, you’ll notice not only is Burger playing from memory, but he is being physically moved and is into the music. It’s a truly amazing thing from such a great talent.


Learning to play the piano would provide me with a way to process my thoughts at stressful times, provide a gift to those who would be willing to listen, and also allow me the freedom to express myself in ways never considered previously. Additionally, there are many songs that I like which are played on the piano, and I could learn to enjoy the process of learning those songs for fun. It’s just something that I’d like to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment