Friday, May 24, 2013

Personal Bucket List: Attend an Olympics (Summer or Winter)


Several years ago, I was hoping that Chicago would be chosen to host an Olympic games. The benefit of such an event being held so close to home would afford me the opportunity to attend the games with relative ease, as opposed to venues in other countries. Sadly that was not the case.


I’ve always enjoyed the Olympic Games. Every couple of years, the world comes together in the spirit of friendly competition in one location, and for a couple of weeks, competes on the world’s greatest stage. The games have produced some of the most iconic moments in all of sports history. Tales of heartache and terror, the dream of competition and overcoming the odds, it’s hard not to get caught up in the story. Plus, where else in the world can a person find such a diverse group of incredibly talented individuals all in one location?


One of the issues with watching the Olympics on television is that you only see certain events. Sure, if you had a cable package or search online you can find film on anything, but it’s not quite the same as watching it in primetime. The networks only want to show the events which get the most traction. This makes sense. I mean, why would you waste money to showcase games that the majority of people don’t want to see?


But if I were to go, I would make an effort to see certain events, such as the Opening or Closing Ceremonies, some of the speed skating, or track events, volleyball, and of course, my favorite events, the shooting sports. When the games were in London, I was able to follow the US Olympic Shooting team much closer than before, and as a result, I was able to become immersed into the world and culture of the shooting sports. Whether it was Archery, Trap Shooting, Pistols, or Target Shooting, I found all events to be fascinating. And, being a shooter myself, it naturally interested me.

The 2012 USA Shooting Team in London
Some prefer one over the other. That is, they prefer Summer over Winter, or vice versa. I really don’t have a preference. Each carries its particular merits, hero’s, stories, and history, and both have a unique place in sports lore. If given the chance, I would attend an Olympic Games in a heartbeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment