Thursday, July 18, 2013

Personal Bucket List: Take a trip to Texas

I know its been awhile and I haven't written in some time, but I want to finish my series of postings started earlier this year on my personal bucket list. I've got two to go.

I really don’t know when it happened. It could have been when I was a young kid and watched old westerns with my Grandpa but as far back as I can remember, I’ve wanted to travel to, and throughout the State of Texas. I was a fan of Davy Crockett stories as a kid, and was fascinated with his life and how it ended at the Alamo, but also over the years I’ve found much of my interests can be tied into what can be found in that one state.



Texas is unique. Founded as an independent nation prior to becoming a state, it is the largest state in the US, save for Alaska. Ohio could fit into Texas several times over, so it would take some time to really explore all that the state has to offer.

Being a history researcher, much of what I’d like to see pertains to that. I want to travel to most of the major cities. Dallas, to see Dealey Plaza where President Kennedy was assassinated, as well as the home to the George W. Bush Presidential Library. I’ve also discovered that Dallas has one of the prettiest skylines found in the United States.


I'd go to Houston, to see the Johnson Space Center and tour the Mission Control Buildings. It was here, back in the 1960’s where man was first able to see one of our own set foot on the moon. The men who worked at Mission Control, worked at the space center, and I’ve always wanted to see it.


San Antonio, where the aforementioned Alamo is located and I can walk across the grounds and see where men such as Crockett, Bowie, and Travis had their final stands. To tour the battlefields in Harris County where the Battle of San Jacinto was fought. It was here where General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was soundly defeated by the Texians and Texas became an independent nation.


I want to visit the grave of Sam Houston. Houston is the central figure in the founding of Texas. Was the commander at the Battle of Jacinto and went on to serve as President of the Republic of Texas prior to its becoming a state. Later he served as its Governor several times. I’ve admired Houston for many years, and I’d like to visit his final resting place in Huntsville.


But Texas is so much more than history. From what I’ve read, and in speaking with many who have been, it would be worth a trip. To see the beaches at Galveston, or drive through Texarkana. To visit Waco, and Fort Worth, or to simply take a drive over the vast landscape that exists throughout the state. It’s a world onto itself. A mash of different cultures, creeds, and views, as well as great people.


A trip to Texas would be costly, at least how I would travel, so that’s been a hindrance till now, but one day, perhaps next year, I’ll make the trip. I’ve wanted to for a long time, and it’s time to make it happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment