Sunday, June 16, 2013

Thoughts on Father's Day

So it’s Father’s Day. In our home it wasn’t always a big thing as Dad was never really into celebrating for the sake of doing it. However, I know he still enjoys it.


Gary Flinn has always been a bit of an inspiration to me, though there are times when I think we are not exactly on the same page. He and my brother Will are more alike and as a result tend to be closer. But Dad has been a constant guiding force in my life. He taught me several things in life, primarily to have faith in others, to be honest, willing to do what it takes, and to always offer a helping hand or a kind word if it was needed.


His mechanical abilities didn’t get passed to me as they did to my brother, but what I did “inherit” I suppose is a willingness to get involved, mix it up a bit, and try to make things better, in spite of overwhelming odds. 

I’ll never forget when Dad used to MC the Hardin County Sheep Improvement Banquets. He would go out of his way to find humor, tell jokes and be a constant entertaining force that would make the banquets so much more memorable. Admittedly, there are days that I miss that.


When we talk, I try to keep Dad updated on what’s going on out in the county and world, but I always find that to be somewhat futile. In his job, he travels around the county on a daily basis and frankly, whatever is happening, he’ll know before I do. When you walk around the fair with Dad he’ll have to stop and talk with everyone, or everyone will stop him and say “Hey Gary! What’s happening with you?” This will then turn into a ten or fifteen minute conversation. We give him grief for that, but the truth is that it makes me proud to have a father who is respected enough in the community for this to happen.


So while we don’t always have the closest or best relationship in the world, the truth is that I am proud of my Dad and all that he’s been able to do in his life. He and my mother have been married for over thirty years, and have successfully raised three children. None of us are perfect, but I’d like to think that I’d look back on my own experiences thirty or forty years from now and consider myself to be as fortunate as he is.

Happy Father’s Day to my Dad, Gary Flinn, and to all the fathers out there! This one’s for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment