Saturday, December 22, 2012

One more to go...


To Recap

Had some excitement today. I mentioned online how our Christmas tree decided to go for a walk, and failed. Well, for some reason, the clamps which hold it in place decided to quit working for a minute, and the tree went a tumbling. Needless to say, I really didn’t plan on spending the afternoon redecorating the tree from scratch, but that was more or less what we had to do. Hey, it happens.


Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, I’ve been reviewing my top twelve favorite Christmas shows that I try to watch at least once each year at this time. You can go back and review them yourselves but to recap.

Honorable Mention: Elf
12: The West Wing 1st Season Christmas Episode
11: Prancer
10: Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town
9: Muppet Christmas Carol
8: Home Alone
7: It’s A Wonderful Life
6: All Creatures Great & Small Christmas Episode
5: The Andy Griffith Show Christmas Episode
4: A Charlie Brown Christmas
3: A Christmas Story
2: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Tomorrow morning, I’ll reveal my all-time favorite Christmas show, so be sure to check that out. Before then though, I want to make mention of another show that has become sort of a family tradition to watch on Christmas day.


 Several years ago, when I was on one my trips to Washington DC, I picked up a copy of the A&E television movie, The Crossing, and gave it to my dad for Christmas. Dad really enjoyed it, and in all the years since, on Christmas night, after a whole day of enjoying Christmas, we would pop that movie in and watch it.

Basically, The Crossing is a telling of George Washington’s Trenton Campaign in December of 1776. Many know what happened, but basically, the Continental Army was at its lowest point ever in the history of the conflict, and had been beaten back time and time again. It was at the point where there was nothing to be done. The government had given up on the conflict, and the British had, more or less, considered it contemptible.

So, in a hail Mary play, Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack the German garrison at Trenton after Christmas. He is successful, and would go on to win the Revolution.


The film stars Jeff Daniels as George Washington. Supporting cast include Roger Rees as Hugh Mercer, Sebastian Roche as John Glover and Steven McCarthy as Alexander Hamilton among others. It’s a good film to watch, but not entirely accurate. Still, worth a look for anyone interested in the American Revolution. Like I said, it has become a bit of a tradition in the years since to view it on Christmas.

Check out tomorrow morning for the conclusion of this blog list. It’s been a pleasure sharing my favorites with you this year, and if you’ve read it once or twice, I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment