Wednesday, March 12, 2014

In Memory of Tom Sprang

Tom, the year he was given the Cattlemens Service Award.
When it comes to the kinds of people who have a hand in shaping your life, or in their own way provide you with an example as to how to live life in the right way, there can be many. We all have those who have come into our lives and have changed them in fundamental ways. It’s not something that I believe we realize at the time, and many times will take for granted, but that doesn’t mean it is any less so. This week, my family and I lost one of these people.

Tom Sprang has been a family friend I would imagine since long before I was born. I don’t recall a time before knowing he was a part of our lives, as a neighbor and as a friend. When we kids were younger, and Dad would come home from work, he would take us to visit the neighbors and see how they were doing. (In truth, it was to get us out of Mom’s hair for a while but we didn’t know that at the time). Every so often we would visit Tom and his family. Dad would “shoot the shit” as it were and they would both solve all the world’s problems. None of these visits were particularly memorable, but collectively they helped me to get to know Tom and his family.

Tom (holding the box) working at the Steak Barn at the fair.
Over the years, I could see how someone like this could impact so many people. He was a 4-H Advisor with my club, the Lynn Valley Farmers, and through that assisted many members with their projects. Tom worked with the Hardin County Cattlemen’s Association and each year, I’d look forward to interviewing him at the banquet and at the fair to get a recap of the associations fair barn activities. He served on many boards and community organizations and I’m quite certain his impact was felt by many.

The big thing for me though is when our families worked out an agreement for his family to farm on our property. Many landowners’ cash rent these days, but to have your neighbors work your farm, sharing resources and working for the benefit of all, is and will always be a lasting impression on me. One aspect of this though is that the families grew sweet corn each year. We’ll plant a field on our property. Dad would purchase the corn seeds he wanted to grow, Tom would have some, and he (or Scotty) would plant the field. At the end of the summer, it was like a community field, with many of the neighbors coming down to partake. I loved these times.

The community at the corn field.
Tom Sprang left an impression me, and I could tell that it was the same for many others. He had a commitment to Hardin County agriculture, but more importantly, to his family and his community. Would we all follow in his example, many of the problems we face today wouldn’t exist. That is, and will always be his lasting legacy.


Thank you Tom, for everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment