Thursday, August 22, 2013

Coming Soon: A New Look For WKTN.

You know that feeling you get when you finally complete a major project? One of elation, satisfaction or just plain relief. Most of us have had this experience when working on projects that take several weeks or even months to complete. I however and proud to say that I am close to completing a project that has been five plus years in the making.



I am proud to say that soon (very soon) there will be some changes to Kenton Today.com, the website that is connected to WKTN Radio. And I hope that many of the changes will be well received by the people who happen to use the site.

I can’t say when the genesis of this project began, but I know that it’s been over five years in the making. On the surface that wouldn’t seem much, but when you’re hoping to put out a product that is intended to meet the needs of the majority of those who happen to use the site, you want to make sure that it’s done right. 

Looking back, it amazes me what all has happened in the last five years since I began working on this upgrade. For one, many of the people I know and consider to be good friends I didn’t even know existed then, and in that time I went to college and completed by undergraduate degree. All while in the process of working on this one project. You could say, save for some other major projects, it’s been my life for the past few years. And now, it’s complete.

When I began this project, I had no idea how much I didn’t know about content management, analytics, web design and formatting, as well as designing an appropriate site that can be easily managed. Consulting with industry insiders, but also with many of the people I’ve met through the University of Findlay, I was able to hone, trim, and otherwise tailor our ideas to better suit the needs of our audience. Without their contribution, this project couldn’t be where it is today.

Last year, the station did some research into our audience, and we found (no surprise) that local was the main focus. People who go to our site want local. Local news, obits, sports, weather, community events, and so on. So to that end, we’ve tailored it to fit that audience, and hopefully they will respond.

So what does it look like? Well, below is the current site.




And here is what it will look like once it is launched.



This is only a picture of course. There are some minor things to deal with between now and the launch, and until we correct them, we can’t say for certain when we’ll switch. But rest assured, change is coming, and hopefully it will be for the better.

To say that I’m elated that we’re finally at this point would be an understatement. It has been a labor of love, hate, and frustration, and it will continue to be as we work through it. But I couldn’t be more pleased with the final result. We have a site that I think the whole community can be proud of and utilize. 

I couldn’t ask for more than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment